Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Zoo Day and Milkshakes

It had been awhile since our last visit to the zoo, so Claire, Will and I headed down there on Friday.  I decided it would be a day of "Yes" - "Yes!" to the butterfly garden, "Yes!" to a ride on the carousel, "Yes!" to lunch at the Zoo Cafe, "Yes!" to a train ride, and finally, "Yes!" to milkshakes afterwards.  I think the only "No" was to toys at the gift shop.  :)
IMG_3510

Zoo Day Butterflies

IMG_3523

IMG_3520

We had a really fun day with only one hiccup.  As we walked through Africa Live, Will climbed up on one of the planters (because he tried to climb up and jump off of everything in sight).  I asked him to please get down, and when he jumped off, he landed funny on a crack in the sidewalk and fell pretty hard on his knees.  When I picked him up, I realized one of his knees was cut and bleeding.  We were close to a small shop, so we walked over for some napkins.  They had some antiseptic wipes and Neosporin and called to have someone bring some Band Aids, so we got him fixed up pretty quickly and were on our way again.  Glad it was an easy fix!

Earlier in the summer when Claire and I were talking about fun things we should do this summer, one of the things that we agreed on was going to get milkshakes.  One of my favorite childhood memories from a vacation to San Antonio was getting milkshakes at the Olmos Pharmacy's old-fashioned lunch counter.  The Olmos Pharmacy is still around and is close to the zoo, but I was a little disappointed to see that while the building and the lunch counter were there, the actual pharmacy and store is gone.  Everything except the lunch counter has been stripped out, and the building is just used for food and live music.  The kids didn't know any different, though, and were still really excited to get to sit at the counter and watch the server make their chocolate milkshake.  It was delicious, and I was glad that I got to get them a special treat!
Zoo Day Milkshake

No comments: