Saturday, August 30, 2008
Friday, August 22, 2008
Monday, August 18, 2008
A couple of days ago I realized that I hadn't dressed her in that outfit since and that it would probably be great for sleeping in. I almost waited too long - now at 4 months, it fits her perfectly, and the legs are almost too short!
It's fun to see such tangible evidence of her growth. Her 4 month appointment with the pediatrician is on Wednesday, so I'll be able to share updated stats then.
Thursday, August 14, 2008
The medicine she is taking for the ear infection is working - she was quickly acting like her usual happy, energetic self again within a couple of days. Nana came on Monday to ride with Claire and me to San Antonio and watch Claire while we were at the closing for the house and while I visited a few day care options. The night before closing, Robert and I went over to the house to meet with the sellers. They wanted us to have a chance to ask any questions and to tell us a few things about the house. They are so nice and helpful, and we really enjoyed having the opportunity to chat with them. We also found out that they will be able to move out a week earlier than expected, and our movers were able to move up our spot on their schedule, so we will be able to all be together again very soon.
I also found a day care that I really like for Claire. They don't have any availability until November, but I found another place that will be good until our first choice has an opening. The differences among centers is striking. I'm so thankful that we can afford the very best center and don't feel like we have to settle because of finances.
Claire was "talking" up a storm today. All of her little syllables and sounds are so precious!
Monday, August 11, 2008
My pediatrician has a nurse advice line that is always staffed, so I called. The nurse listened to the symptoms and asked some questions. She didn't think that we need to worry, but said that anytime a 3-6 month old has a fever over 102 they should be seen by a doctor, so she told us to go to the urgent care center at Childrens' Hospital and that she would call ahead so that we would be in the computer. Since this was our first experience with needing to see a doctor outside of normal hours, I was really happy to learn that we didn't have to go to the ER. The care center is only available by referral, so we didn't have an exceptionally long wait - we were probably there an hour and a half total.
The advice nurse also told us to go ahead and give her some infant Tylenol, and by the time we got to the hospital she was already starting to act like herself again. When the triage nurse took her temperature, we were pleased to find that it was back down in the 98's. The doctor checked her out and said that Claire was in the early stages of an ear infection, and that it was good we went ahead and came in so that she could get started on medication before it got bad. One of her eyes had also started getting really watery and a little goopy, and the doctor said that it was all related. They cleaned out Claire's nose really good and sent us home with a prescription for an antibiotic.
Robert had to go on, so we called Nana (my mom) to see if she could come and then ride with Claire and me to San Antonio on Tuesday (closing for the SA house is Wednesday morning). She was available and happy to come, so we were able to postpone the long car ride for Claire until she felt better. She did pretty good last night. She only woke twice - once for some cuddling, and once to take a full bottle. So glad she got her appetite back! Today she slept more than usual, but was back to her normal happy self when she was awake. I don't think it will be long until she makes a full recovery!
Friday, August 08, 2008
On the house front, we got the list of repairs from the buyer and are saying "no" to all but one. I understand that she's already making plans for some kitchen remodeling, so she can just add the other things in with that. My agent told them ahead of time that it would be difficult for me to justify spending any money for repairs since the back up offer was higher. Plus, I also just found out that the house appraised (Yay!!!) so that hurdle has been taken care of. More updates as I know something!
Tuesday, August 05, 2008
The only troubling thing is that she is getting FHA financing, which I'm learning is a real pain for sellers. They have to obtain an FHA appraisal, and if the appraisal is lower than the offer (including the additional amount for closing costs), they won't finance it. I was already at the high end of the comps, so we're hopeful for a good appraisal.
There were still several other showings over the weekend, and one of those resulted in a back up offer that came in today. So, if it doesn't work out with the first buyer, we already have a contract with another buyer. They offered $3k above list price, didn't ask for anything back for closing costs, and haven't already asked for repairs, so on a net basis, this one is higher than the first. It's nice to have a back up, plus I feel like this gives me more leverage when negotiating repairs from the inspection.
This is turning out to be a good time to be a seller in Lake Highlands. The activity has been so encouraging. If everything works out, we will close at the same time of our move, which is perfect! Please pray that everything will go smoothly.