Saturday, January 14, 2012

New Year, New Career

In September, Robert and I had some uninterrupted time together during a quick trip to Dallas for a friend's wedding, and we were able to really talk for the first time in a long time.  One of the things that came out of that conversation was the struggle I'd been having in my mind - should I keep working or stay home with the kids?  We both took a couple of months to think through things, set expectations, etc., and right before Thanksgiving, I gave notice at my job that I would be leaving.  My boss and co-workers were very supportive and understanding, and I stayed for a few weeks to help with some big projects that were underway.  My last day was in mid-December, and my new career as a stay at home mom began with the new year.

So far, it has been terrific.  The kids still go to school two days a week (they really enjoy it, and we feel like the curriculum and social interaction are good for them), so I have plenty of time to run non-kid friendly errands, clean the house, etc.  We've been filling our days easily with play dates, library story times, errands, and lots of play.  I'm surprised how quickly the days go by, and we are adjusting well to our new schedules.  I know we are bound to run into a few struggles and days that don't go as smoothly, but I have no doubt that it was the right decision and am loving the extra time to focus on our family.

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

Yea, yea, yea!

Amy's Mom said...

We are so happy for all of you! You will always cherish the storehouse of memories you build with your precious little ones.

bb said...

YAY for stay at home mommying!!!

Friends of Kate said...

I am happy to have another SAHM so close! I am so glad that it is going well, and that the transition has been a smooth one!

Sheila said...

I am so happy for you being able to
stay at home doing a job you do so well! Bravo!

LauraC said...

Woo hoo! I saw the change on facebook but didn't put two and two together!

Miss G said...

Cool Amy! I'm glad for you and glad the adjustment is going smoothly! Wish we were close so we could have a playdate. Kelly