Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Great Halloween Debate

For Claire's first three Halloweens, she was too young to really have an opinion about a costume.  I just picked something cute (and as I learned after Year 1, something that could work for either 60 or 80 degree weather, and after Year 2, that did not require a head piece or hat).  This year she does want some input - which is both funny and a little frustrating since at age 3, she seems to change her mind about every 37 seconds.

This morning we started talking about Halloween, and I gave her a few ideas - fairy, ice cream cone, cupcake, etc.  Afterwards, our conversation went a little like this:

C:  "I want to be juice."
Me:  "Juice?  Really?"
C:  "Yes, juice."
Me:  "Okaaaay..."
C:  "No, I want to be chocolate milk."
Me:  "Chocolate milk?  Hmmm...maybe we could actually find a costume for that.  And Will could be a cookie!  Yeah!  That would be really cute!"
C:  "Yeah, chocolate milk!"

A minute later...

C:  "I want to wear my pink dress for Halloween."
Me:  "The one you're wearing right now?"
C:  "Yes."
Me:  "Well, we usually dress up for Halloween.  In a costume.  You can pretend to be someone or something else."
C:  "I wear my pink dress.  I be Claire."

Cute, but a little frustrating.  :)  I think we may pursue the chocolate milk idea, though.

4 comments:

Kristy C said...

i am sure there is a pinterest entry for that. :)

Amy's Mom said...

I just love that conversation! She is so funny and cute. I'm sure she will change her mind a few more times by tomorrow!

Gillian said...

YES I always kick myself for asking too early because if I ask too far away from Halloween their answer can change a million times! Chocolate milk sounds adorable.

Friends of Kate said...

Too sweet! I just love it. I think that K will be an ice cream cone (again...) and P will be whatever K was when she was 2. (Poor P. No new costumes for her...)