Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Food Trials {Vol. 2}

I made a few new things this week:


Source:  Ready Set Eat via Pinterest
Tweeks: I had crushed tomatoes on hand, so I used those instead of diced tomatoes.  They didn't have garlic in them, so I added some garlic and sauteed it with the zucchini and bell pepper.  I thought it needed a little spice, so I added some cumin.  Instead of rice, I added cooked quinoa (left out the water in the recipe). 
What I'd Do Differently Next Time: Nothing.  Robert, Claire, and I liked it.  Will was already in bed when we ate, so I'll see what he things of the leftovers.  I think it would be easy to sub out different vegetables or grains/rice.
Verdict: Keeper

Source:  Cooking Light
Tweeks:  I used baby Bella mushrooms instead of cremini since I could buy those pre-sliced.  I used an andouille sausage instead of the turkey Italian sausage.
What I'd Do Differently Next Time:  I didn't realize the sausage I bought was pre-cooked until I started to put it in the pan, so it didn't brown up and crumble like I would've liked.  I'll stick with Italian sausage next time.  Everything else was perfect.  I could see this becoming part of our regular rotation.
Verdict:  Keeper

Recipe:  Baked Oatmeal
Source:  I'm not sure - I copied from a website.  The recipe is below.
Tweeks:  None
What I'd Do Differently Next Time:  Add more Craisins or dried apples.
Verdict:  Undecided.  I like it, but I think I could probably find a version I liked even better.  Our Best Bites has one I want to try.  It was super easy - less than 10 minutes to prepare, and I liked the cakey texture.

3 cups Quaker Oats
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon orange extract
1/3 cup Craisins
2 eggs
1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 cup skim milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients. Spray 8x8 glass pan with olive oil spray. Pour oatmeal mixture in and smooth out. Bake, uncovered, 35 minutes. This is a cake-likeoatmeal that tastes like a cookie but with a softer texture closer to bread pudding.

This can be made the night before, covered and kept in refrigerator overnight. Bake in the morning while getting ready for your day and it will be ready before you are! Keeps well, firms up when cool and can be cut into squares and stored in large Ziplock bag in refrigerator.

No comments: