Friday, May 21, 2010

Baby 2's First Appointment

Written on 4/6/10


I had my first OB appointment on Thursday, and I'm excited to report that everything looks great! The OB did a sonogram, and we were able to see a heartbeat. This appointment seemed to go by a lot more quickly than my first with Claire. I really didn't have any questions, and my OB and I mainly discussed how I've been feeling and started talking about what type of delivery I want. Since I had a C-section with Claire, I could plan to go straight for a scheduled C-section with Baby 2, but at this point, I'm also a candidate for a VBAC (vaginal birth after Caesarean). I know a couple of people who have had successful VBACs, and I'm glad to know that Dr. N thinks it will be a possibility, but it's definitely something we need to research more. I also think that we won't want to make a decision until much further along - there are so many factors that need to be exactly "right" that I don't want to plan too much at this point.


The "morning sickness" and extreme exhaustion started about a week ago, and it's been interesting to me to see how my body is responding so similarly to the way it did with Claire. Just like with her, I feel okay as long as I don't let myself get hungry, and I am more likely to feel bad in the evenings. My routine is to eat something as soon as I get out of bed, let it settle, then start getting ready. Usually I'm okay with a little snack until I can get my usual peanut butter sandwich as I walk out the door, but I'm finding that as the days go by, the amount of time I have before I need that sandwich gets shorter and shorter. I'm sure I'm amazing my co-workers with the number of snacks I consume each day, but it will all make sense in another month or so!


Also, similar to my pregnancy with Claire, I'm craving fried chicken, potatoes, and tomatoes. I ate half a container of cherub tomatoes after getting home with them from the grocery store on Sunday!


I finally got to share my news with Mom last night. We wanted to wait until after the first appointment to tell anyone, and then over the next few days I either didn't have time to call or was trying to sleep! She is thrilled to hear our news! Dad is at the farm for the week, and she wanted me to be able to tell him myself, so I'll tell him when he gets back this weekend. We're looking for other opportunities to share the news with family, but will wait until after the next appointment to spread the news.


It's taken awhile for it to sink in that I'm really pregnant, but having the first trimester nausea start up made it feel real, and seeing that little flickering heartbeat allowed me to start getting excited. 33 more weeks to go!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

so what is your due date? my sis is due with baby 2 on dec 21 (my niece Emily is just a couple months younger than Claire)...