Sunday, March 30, 2008

Goodbye, Tree!

A couple of weeks ago my parents came in town, and my dad and Robert took down the tree in front of our house. When I first bought the house, I was really excited about the big, full tree in the front yard. What I didn't realize at the time was that the leaning tree was dropping every year. A neighbor told us how much the lean had increased every year for the past few years, so Dad put in some braces to curb it. That worked really well for a few years, but lately it had started to look pretty sick, and the webworms were attacking it every summer, so it never looked very good. Robert and I want to get the yard in shape this year, so we decided it was time for the tree to go!

Robert and Dad got most of it by themselves and were planning to do the entire thing when a man with a tree service stopped by and made them an offer to finish the job. Robert talked him down to a reasonable amount just to take out the stump, which was going to be the most difficult part. I married such a good bargainer! Hopefully in a few months I'll have some pictures of a nice new yard.

Here's a picture of the tree when I bought the house:

Hard at work: