Thursday, March 25, 2010

Over the past two weeks...

I just realized last night how long it's been since I did a blog update! We've had a busy couple of weeks...
  • Robert's sister got married on the 13th at a ranch in Bandera. Claire was the flower girl, and she performed her duties beautifully! I'm planning a whole post on the wedding.
  • We had one set of Robert's grandparents, Ma & Bob, and his uncle Clark, aunt Gayle, and cousin Tom staying with us the weekend of the wedding. We had a great visit and enjoyed showing them some of the missions of San Antonio.
  • Monday the 15th was my last day of work at the accounting firm I'd been working for here in San Antonio. I left for a variety of reasons, but the main reason was that my request to go to a formal part-time schedule was basically ignored for months, so I found another job that I'm very excited about. I'll be working for a local restaurant here in San Antonio with 3 locations, doing some accounting, analysis, strategy, planning, etc. for the owners. The office is VERY small, so it will be a change, but I love the industry and am looking forward to starting on Monday!
  • I've stayed busy on my days off, painting a room, working on a list of things we've been needing to complete for months, cleaning, spending more time with Claire, etc.
  • Last Thursday, we got a scary call from the daycare. Claire fell out of a chair and hit her head on the floor, and the director was concerned about her and called the ambulance. I was at home painting, so I threw down my stuff and headed over. Robert got the message before me, and by the time I got there, he was already there and the paramedic had come and gone. The paramedic thought she was okay but said we might want to get a second opinion, so I took her to the pediatrician's office for another look. She was acting normally but sleepy, and I kept talking to her and reaching back and messing with her to keep her awake. Fortunately the pediatrician agreed that she was okay, told us a few things to watch for, and we all headed to lunch. She was fine by then, ate a good lunch, and went down for a nap when we got home. I checked on her every half hour to make sure she was okay, and we didn't have any issues other than a bump, a huge bruise, and a sore noggin. Overall, we were thankful that the school reacted so quickly and didn't hesitate to call for medical attention, and that things weren't any worse (and that there is time for the bruise to go away before our family portraits in a couple of weeks :) ).
  • Mom and Dad came to visit last weekend. We hadn't seen them since our big trip in January and enjoyed spending lots of time with them - and putting Dad to work on lots of projects with Robert!
  • While Mom and Dad were here, Robert and I managed to see two movies - "Up in the Air" and "Avatar" in 3D. Really enjoyed both of them, although "Up in the Air" was a little depressing. We realized that we hadn't been to the theater since we saw "Star Trek" - it had been too long!
  • Claire is going to her first Easter egg hunt this weekend, and we're excited to see how she reacts.
  • Claire is still taking some small steps on the potty training front. We are taking it very slowly and letting her set the pace at this point. Most nights she will sit on her potty before her bath, and after a couple of weeks of nothing happening, she's started using it again. We give her a sticker every time she sits on it for more than a few seconds, and she gets another one if she actually uses it (and she gets to flush the big toilet, which she thinks is really fun). I'm trying to avoid any food-related rewards after hearing some stories from friends with children a little older than C, and fortunately she loves stickers. She definitely understands the concept, which is what we're going for right now, and we're not planning on full-on potty training for awhile. Selfishly, I like being able to run errands and not worry about finding the nearest bathroom, or having to get up multiple times during a dinner out to go to the restroom. That will happen soon enough, I'm sure!

Look for posts soon about Carol's wedding, our crazy night trying to leave Hawaii, and more!

3 comments:

bb said...

Congrats on the new job!!! And YAY for peeing in the potty. Honestly, I had failed to consider the up-side to diapers...... until now.

Ashlee Liddell said...

Congrats on the new job! So glad that you are excited about this new change, and I will be praying it is a perfect fit for you and the family!

ashtheflash said...

What types of stories about food-related rewards for potty training? You've piqued my curiosity!