Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Rain, rain, rain!

Robert and I decided to create a blog for our honeymoon and keep all of you back at home on the mainland up to date on our Hawaiian adventure. For those of you who were able to make it to the wedding, you know that we were blessed with perfect weather and a glorious day. We already have a few preview pics from our photographer, and I'll post some of those soon. Unfortunately the perfect weather did not come with us on the plane, but we're still having a wonderful time just being together.

Things post-wedding got off to a pretty rocky start. We drove back to Dallas from Austin on Monday, and as soon as we got to the house, I became violently ill. I don't know if it was food poisoning or a stomach bug, but I was incapacitated for the remainder of the evening and night. Fortunately my new husband was there, and he took great care of me. As he said, we thought we'd have a little more "in health" before we had to invoke the "in sickness" part of our vows!

Our flight to Kauai didn't leave until around 1:30 on Tuesday, so fortunately we had enough time to pack that morning when I was feeling a little better. The Bradshaws, Robert's grandparents, generously gave us enough miles to fly first class on our honeymoon, so we were able to relax on the flight and get some sleep. We arrived in Lihue, Kauai at 9:40 pm (1:40 am Central time).

We're staying in a beautiful condo on the south shore of Kauai in Poipu. It's been recently remodeled - the kitchen is nicer than the one in our house. :) We woke up to the sound of waves crashing outside the window, cloudy skies, and rain. Unfortunately the rain never seemed to pass, and from watching the news tonight, it appears we may have similar weather for the next few days. Although unexpected, we're still having a relaxing time.

We ventured out this morning and found a great breakfast place that served breakfast burritos and coffee - two of life's necessities. Afterwards we did some exploring and got our bearings on the south and west sides of the island. We went shopping, viewed Waimea Canyon ("the Grand Canyon of the Pacific"), got snowcones, saw a blowhole on the shore, and had our first scare when we visited the grocery store. Can you believe that milk is $7 a gallon? Liquid gold!

Once we were done exploring for the day, we returned to the condo, got in a nap, and went to dinner at Keiko's Paradise where we had fresh fish and lava flows (pina coladas with stawberry puree). Now we're wrapping up the evening by watching "Lost," a real treat since we haven't had a chance in awhile to watch one of our favorite shows together.

Hope everyone is doing well back at home! We'll try to post pictures soon!

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh no! I'm soooooooo sorry if I got you sick!!! My mom had it on Monday night, too, so it probably is my fault. Boo!

See why I didn't make it to the rehearsal dinner? Yeah.

Amy L said...

I don't think it was your fault - I was around other people who were sick, too. I think it was more likely food poisoning - I got sick 7-8 times in a span of 4 hours. My body was definitely trying to purge itself of something - it was awful!!!