Wednesday, October 16, 2013

San Diego - Day One

It's been two months since we went on a vacation to San Diego - time to get it on the blog!

Midway through the summer, it began to hit me that once school started, our flexibility in taking family trips was going to drastically decrease.  I wanted to get in one big trip before we got on the school train!  We started thinking about options, and my top three criteria were:  1.  Lots of activities for the kids; 2. Easy to get there; and 3. Not hot (this might have been my #1 concern)!  We settled on San Diego.  Robert had never been, and I'd only been a couple of times for day trips, and it fit all of my top issues.  I started researching hotels, and I kept coming back to the Hotel Del Coronado.  One of my most memorable moments from a previous trip with a church group was seeing that beautiful old hotel right on the beach, and I knew that I wanted to stay there one day.  We were able to find some available days that worked with our timing, and we booked another place in La Jolla (a suburb of San Diego) for the beginning of our trip.

We left on Sunday, August 11th.  Claire already seemed back to her usual energetic self after her concussion, and both kids did great on the flight.  Between the portable DVD player, a new LeapPad, and some new little toys that we pulled out of their backpacks as needed, the trip went smoothly.
1 Airport

2 Travel

They both took short naps in the car on our drive to La Jolla, and we checked into our hotel, the Grande Colonial.  We were only about a block from the coast, and after we got settled, we strolled down to the beach to see the seals at Children's Pool beach.
SD-108

By then it was time for dinner, so we walked into the main part of La Jolla and had what was to the first of a few meals at Burger Lounge.  Robert and I became obsessed with their quinoa salad (thinking about it has me craving one now!), and the kids loved the chicken tenders on a stick and the lemonade!
3 Dinner

No comments: